Latest Post Brexit Communication From APHA

APHA have issued transporters with the latest communication regarding what to do in the event of a No Deal Brexit. Details are below, but suffice to say it doesn’t exactly make it clear HOW we go about getting our EU documentation IF we need to.

Dear transporter,

Following the publication of technical notices in September 2018, on what will happen in the event of a no deal scenario, we want to draw your attention to the situation for Transport Authorisations and what you will need to do in order to continue to export live animals to the EU after day 1 in the event of no deal.

In January 2018, the EU commission confirmed that in the event of a no deal scenario when the UK exits the EU, they will no longer accept Transporter Authorisation, Certificates of Competence or Vehicle Approval Certificates issued by the UK authority. A link to the notice can be found here:…/notice_brexit_animal_transport.pdf

Defra have been working to ensure this information is communicated to all relevant stakeholders and have published a series of Technical Notices, which can be viewed on the links below. In addition to transporter authorisation, the technical notices will provide additional information on other processes which may impact upon you or your business.…/how-to-prepare-if-the-uk-leaves…
Exporting Animals and animal products is there’s no Brexit Deal
Importing Animals and animal products is there’s no Brexit Deal
Taking horses abroad if there is no Brexit deal

In the event of a no deal scenario, any transporter wishing to transport live animals into the EU will need to obtain new transport documentation issued by one of the EU27 Members States.
UK transporters wishing to transport live animals in the EU would need to appoint a representative within an EU country and apply to their relevant government department to obtain a valid Transporter Authorisation, Certificate of Competence, Vehicle Approval Certificate and, where necessary, a Journey Log. 
Journey logs will need to be obtained from both APHA and the EU country that is the initial point of entry into the EU for export. Exporters would need to present their transport documentation at a Border Inspection Post in the EU. 
UK-issued transport documentation would remain valid for transport within the UK only.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Cathryn Banks
Team Leader
CITES Compliance Team
Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
Telephone: 020 80260491 | Email:
Website: | Twitter: @APHAgovuk | Facebook: APHAGov
Address: Centre for International Trade, Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle CA3 8DX

1 thought on “Latest Post Brexit Communication From APHA

  1. Pingback: Post Brexit (No Deal) Pet Transport

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *